Eye problems

If you are having problems with your eyes, visiting an optician is often the best place to start.

NHS optician services

Opticians are open for routine treatments including:

Treatment may be free if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Sometimes opticians may be able to help with other minor eye issues.

NHS optician services can help with:

  • eye tests to see if you need glasses
  • checking for signs of eye disease
  • referrals to hospital eye clinics for more tests

Go to A&E or call 999 if:

you have a serious injury to your eye including:

  • an injury involving glass
  • high-speed injury (for example injuries occurring while hammering or chiseling)
  • a sharp object has stabbed you in or around the eye
  • chemical eye injury

Request an appointment at the surgery

If the services above are not suitable, you can request an appointment at the surgery.

Date published: 18th December, 2023
Date last updated: 19th December, 2023